I see you hating on the name already, but stop that. I'm already in love with it.
Filter-logs: flog. A command-line utility to filter logs depending on if it's an error, infromation, trace, debug, or wheatever kind of severity. And yes, especially for multiline logs!
Sample use case:
# Only give me the <1 day old logs from fileOutput.log
$ flog -t 1d fileOutput.log
# ...or what about only error logs
$ flog -s error fileOutput.log
# Only show me error logs from dotnet run
$ dotnet run -v m | flog -s error
Would be so useful, and not that complicated to make, right?
I've not found any such tool online, so let's just make one of my own. But what language?
When searching for internship via school I found this small startup with this cute project of building a teaching tool for programming. There were back then 2 programmers: the founder and the co-founder.
Then like 1 week before the internship started, the co-founder had a burnout and had to get off the project, while the company was so low on budget the founder, aka my new b0ss, had to work separate jobs to keep the company alive. (quite metal tbh)
It's funny because I'm a junior developer, 100%. I've been coding as a hobby for around 8 years now but I've never worked in a big company before. (No exception to this workplace either)
First project I get: rewrite the compiler. The Python compiler.
“But wait, why not just embed a real compiler from the first case?”
-nanananana it's never simple, as you probably know from your own projects.
The feature in question is this thing about value conflict in variables. The G1ANT.Robot language doesn’t allow it, so I thought…. yea fuck that, I’m not goin to either.
I was already savin the shitty variables in stacks of lists for each code block, so I just added a Type value to the items and zamziop kdone. Now just throw some exceptions here n there were the value types differs.
This was a feature I didn’t add because I just imagined it would be done in an hour or so.
Oh how I was wrong. It took me FULL 90 MINUTES!
What took the most time was writing all those stupid unit tests. Implementing if-else, while, and do-while was arguably the easiest thing I’ve added. With my UNQUESTIONABLY SENSATIONALISTIC CODE BASE it was added in a jiffy. 🍆✊💦
That right there ^ was like, echo conditional jump, echo codeblock, echo label, DDdddDDONE!
Naming methods is legit one of my biggest priorities in getting rhoight. However, when you mix TDD and my usual level of sleep dep, the names stack on with so many words it’s really unmuzzleable.
Like I cry blood when reading this, but I don’t have the energy to come up with a better name:
Oooo yea the main reason I logged into bloglr!; I just got if-else statements working! And I’m fiddling around a little with some minor optimizations for like when the code block is empty and all that jazz.
I love this codebase. Most fun I’ve had with a single project ever. I have had no planning done aT ALL but I’ve lapped a distance. I’m jolly.
Not only the lazyness of me implementing this but also about posting this. I try to keep up to date with myself but this shitpost has fallen a week after due the pull request was merged.
The ruckus new feature is what to be expected as one of the simplest of things.
It’s negative numbers.
Twenty7seven days since the start of the project. Waaaay to long if I ask me.
I’m usually against negativity, so therefore I didn’t want to add this feature. But with a hard argument with the b0ss and numerous angry users (me, me, & me), I ended up adding it anywayssss. Oh me people.